10 Tips for Getting Married in Jamaica
If it's your dream to get married on this famous Caribbean island, here are our tips for getting married in Jamaica:
1. If you are getting married in a villa or resort, hire a local wedding planner who knows the lay of the land; local wedding
planners can help pave the way with local vendors and be on hand on the wedding day to make sure your wedding goes smoothly.
2. Montego Bay is an excellent Jamaican wedding destination if mountains and a view of the sea are your dream wedding
3. If you are looking for baked-in romance, then Ocho Rios is perfect for you, as that Jamaican destination has many couples-only
resorts and private beaches.
4. Jamaica has a rich culture and a unique cuisine. Coordinate with your chef so that you can have a wonderful menu that is
filled with delectable island flavours.
5. Be creative with flowers. Jamaica has a wide range of beautiful flowers from all different parts of the world. Check with your planner so that you can get the best flowers that suit your dream wedding.
6. Ensure that you make arrangements with a marriage official well in advance of your planned wedding date.
7. Plan the ceremony after you've been on the island for at least a day; you can only be married 24 hours after you arrive, once you have your licence.
8. Inquire about the number of weddings that are held each week at the hotel or resort, so that you and your guests don't
feel rushed to accommodate a revolving door of other wedding celebrations.
9. If you are a visitor to the island, double check and make sure you do all the paperwork. Documents you'll need include:
- Proof of citizenship (which is a certified copy of your birth certificate which includes the father's name).
- Proof of divorce by way of an original certificate of divorce.
- If you are under the age of 18, a consent written by parent(s) is needed.
- A certified copy of the death certificate for widow or widower.
10. Stay a while: Plan your honeymoon in Jamaica as well!