Northeast U.S. and Atlantic Canada - Fall Foliage Discovery (MS Roald Amundsen)
About New York
Fall Beauty and Charming Towns
Sailing from Halifax, this North America and Canada cruise calls on charming towns decked out in spectacular fall colors. There will be ample opportunity to visit historic lighthouses, take shoreline strolls, explore gorgeous bays and inlets, and sample some of the best seafood the area has to offer.
Our first destination is the friendly and historic town of Yarmouth, home to the largest fishing fleet in Atlantic Canada.
We cross the Gulf of Maine and sail along magnificent coastline. Our first port call here will be charming Eastport, a great place to explore on foot.
Next, we call on Bar Harbor where beautiful Acadia National park is radiant in fall colors. The classic New England town of Rockland is our final stop in Maine.
Provincetown, Newport and New York
Next up is Provincetown on Cape Cod, which beckons you to stroll along the beach and enjoy its famed small-town charm. Our final call will be Newport, Rhode Island, where you can walk along beautiful cliffs and enjoy elegant architecture.
We end our cruise by sailing past the Statue of Liberty into New York, giving you the chance to enjoy the city that never sleeps.
- Discover New England in fall colors
- Experience the small-town charm of Nova Scotia and Maine
- Enjoy walking and hiking opportunities
- Sail into New York harbor past the Statue of Liberty
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all cruises designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for USA (ESTA) and Canada (ETA) - for details please see Visa information in Entry Requirements
Vibrant Capital of Nova Scotia - Halifax, Canada - Embarkation
The native Mi'kmaq people have been in the Halifax area for millennia, while modern Halifax was founded in 1749 by the British. Today, it offers rich culture and places of great natural beauty, such as Peggy’s Cove. Spend some time exploring before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen.
Historic Beauty and Lighthouses - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - Full Day
A lovely historic town built on shipbuilding and trade, Yarmouth features fine Victorian homes, museums, churches, wharfs and other hidden gems. Explore the town, meet the friendly locals and sample some of the freshest seafood in the world. The area around the Cape Forchu lighthouse offers stunning seaside walking trails.
Yarmouth Walking Tour (2 hrs)
Explore Yarmouth’s heritage district by foot and walk by beautiful residences including the Pelton-Fuller Brush Home. Visit the Yarmouth County Museum, housed in a former granite church, see historic waterfront warehouses from the sailing era, and enjoy the town at your leisure. (Self-guided with local guides at appointed points of interest).
Easternmost City in the USA - Eastport, Maine - Full Day
We sail into the historic waterfront of cozy Eastport on Moose Island. The native Passamaquoddy tribe has called the area home for millenia. In 1833, Eastport became the second-largest trading port, after New York. Stroll the town or join us for an optional hike or day on the water here.
When in Maine… - Bar Harbor, Maine - Full Day
There is a special mystique to Bar Harbor. Surrounded by the stunning Acadia National Park, sparkling with fall colors and perched on the edge of the sea, this little community offers tons of charm. Bar Harbor is the artistic, culinary, and social center in this lovely part of New England.
Gilded Age Walking tour (2 hrs)
Join a walking tour and travel back to the 19th century when Bar Harbor was the world's most exclusive seaside resort. Your guide is dressed in full Victorian garb and takes you back to an era of opulence, regaling you with stories of Victorian Bar Harbor's rich and famous. Learn about the area’s history and how the super rich lived lavishly with their grand parties and manicured estates.
Small Town Charm - Rockland, Maine - Full Day
Next, we visit Rockland, a beautiful coastal town situated alongside Penobscot Bay. Rockland is known for its lobster-fishing industry and deep harbor, dotted with hundreds of inlets and coves. Downtown Rockland features historic homes and charming shops as well as a fine art museum and the famed Wyeth Center.
Breakwater lighthouse with nature walk (1 - 3 hrs)
Walk out to sea without getting your wet feet on this tour to Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse - at the end of a breakwater extending almost one mile into the ocean. Ride a shuttle to the lighthouse and climb to the top of the historic beacon to get a wonderful view of the surroundings.
Beaches of Cape Cod - Provincetown, Massachusetts - Full Day
Colorful Provincetown is situated on the extreme tip of Cape Cod peninsula and surrounded by beaches. In 1620, the pilgrims aboard the Mayflower set anchor in what is today Provincetown Harbor. Its historic maritime character and art scene attracts visitors all year round.
Mayflower Trolley Tour (3 hrs)
Explore the sights and sounds of Provincetown from the comfort of the Mayflower trolley. Our expert conductors take you on a 45-minute tour of this charming town. Learn about the pilgrims and life after landing here with the Mayflower and hear stories about Provincetown as you take in the sights.
The Ocean State - Newport, Rhode Island - Full Day
Newport is considered a jewel in the coastal crown of New England. It is home to spectacular coastal scenery, awe-inspiring architecture, a thriving waterfront and welcoming hospitality. Discover Newport’s downtown and walk along iconic Ocean Drive, discover colonial architecture or explore the tunnels at Fort Adams – America’s largest coastal fortification.
Cliff Walk (3 hrs)
Experience New England’s rocky shore and crashing surf on one side and Newport’s most extravagant mansions on the other. The Cliff Walk remains one of Newport’s top attractions. Stretch your legs and enjoy the sights as our guide shares stories about America’s Gilded Age and the cast of characters who made Newport one the USA’s wealthiest summer resorts.
Hudson River, Statue of Liberty and Manhattan - New York - Disembarkation
Early in the morning, we sail into Manhattan, passing by the iconic Statue of Liberty. Enjoy the skyline of this legendary metropolis, before it is time to say farewell. We recommend staying a few days in the city that never sleeps to get even more out your vacation.