Ancient Cultures of Papua New Guinea
Flight Brisbane / Honiara + Transfers
Cruise Pacific and Oceania from 11 April 2020 to 22 April 2020
12 days / 11 nights
Departure Port : Honiara, Guadalcanal Island
Arrival Port : Cairns
Ship : LE LAPEROUSE
This PONANT 12-day Expedition cruise aboard Le Lapérouse will take you to discover the wonders of Papua New Guinea.
Departing from Honiara, the capital of Guadalcanal and renown for being the site of the battle between the USA and Japan during WWII.
Your cruise will begin with our inaugural visit to the Autonomous region of Bougainville, a unique group of islands that are ecologically and geographically part of the Solomon Islands archipelago but not politically part of the nation of Solomon Islands.
Take the opportunity to explore this region with rugged, mountainous landscapes, lush tropical vegetation bordering warm and crystal-clear waters which simply beckon to be explored. You will be welcomed with traditional dances and learn local customs.
Le Lapérouse will then set sail for Papua New Guinea, a fascinating land that is home to no fewer than 700 ethnic groups within a highly diverse yet mainly unexplored, ecosystem.
Your call at Tufi, will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of your voyage. You will fall under the charm of this picturesque region, dubbed the “Scandinavia of the Tropics”, with its deep fiords or locally known ‘rias’ formed through volcanic activity. In this unique setting the local Papuan tribes will share their customs, beliefs and artwork with you.
Finally, you will arrive in Australia and disembark in Cairns, known as the capital of ‘Far North Queensland, this vibrant and welcoming city is the ideal place from which to explore the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef and the Tropical Rainforests.
The encounters with the wildlife described above illustrate possible experiences only and cannot be guaranteed.
- Be part of our inaugural visit to the Autonomous region of Bougainville
- Discover the mysteries of Papua-New Guinea, the land of a thousand cultures.
- Zodiac® outings & shore visits with your expedition team.
- Tufi, a spectacular tropical fjord, where the inhabitants produce traditional tapa cloth.
- Calls at the Lusançay Islands and the D’Entrecasteaux Archipelago, named after the French explorers who set off in search of La Pérouse.
- Swimming and snorkelling on deserted beaches surrounded by coral reefs, home to a diversity of underwater life.
- Encounters with local people: cultural performances, dances, arts & crafts.