Peru Culinary Experience
Duration: 8 days
Recognized as one of the world’s best culinary destinations, Peru is the perfect place to indulge yourself in the marvels of South America’s gastronomy and enjoy Exceptional Dining. Dine at Mil by Virgilio Martinez, 2017’s best chef who was featured on Chef’s Table, sample the freshness of a Farm-to-Table meal at a working hacienda in the Andes, visit a local produce market to learn about the wide variety of ingredients available to Peruvians and sample a traditional meal at Chicha, Gaston Acurio’s restaurant in Cusco. Delight in all of this with VIP Experiences while visiting the country’s cosmopolitan capital of Lima, the archaeological sites of the picturesque Sacred Valley and the enigmatic Machu Picchu, Peru’s crown jewel.
Arrive Lima, Peru. On arrival at the Lima International Airport, you will be greeted and transferred to your luxurious hotel where you will be met by your Travelling Concierge. Hotel: Country Club Lima Hotel.
Lima, City of the Kings. In the historical centre, admire the colorful colonial architecture around the “Plaza San Martín”, the main square or “Plaza de Armas” and the San Francisco Monastery with its underground maze of tunnels and catacombs. Afterwards, your culinary adventure starts at a typical Peruvian market. Walk through the colourful stands, learn about local produce, and taste exotic fruits before arriving at a local restaurant where you will receive a cooking demonstration highlighting some of Peru’s traditional cuisine and at the end, savour these signature dishes. In the evening, toast to the start of a memorable vacation during your Welcome Dinner. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner with Wine
On to the Sacred Valley. Fly to Cusco and travel to the Sacred Valley. En route, you will be taken to the Hacienda Sarapampa where you will be delighted by a 3-course Farm-to-Table lunch experience based on local cuisine and family recipes. From there we will make our way to the renowned Pisac market, with a wide variety of Peruvian handicrafts on display. Our hotel for the evening is a stunning property with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. Hotel: Inkaterra Hacienda Urubamba, Sacred Valley. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
Exploring the Sacred Valley. Your backdrop this morning is formed by the unique circular agricultural terraces of Moray and the nearby salt pools of Maras. Lunch will be served at Mil Restaurant, owned by Virgilio Martinez, recognized as the World’s Best Chef in 2017, along with Pia Leon, his wife. His love of Peru’s ample and eclectic climates and ingredients have created a unique menu dedicated to the Andes. After, you will help make travel matter by visiting the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco (CTTC), an initiative supported by the Treadright Foundation. Run by local weaver, Nilda Callanaupa, this organization is dedicated not only to the preservation, but also the commercialization of beautiful, high quality textiles. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch with Wine
Journey to Machu Picchu. This morning, travel to the Inca village Ollantaytambo, with its impressive fortress perched protectively above the village. This pretty little town has a rich history and is one of the few scenes where the Spaniards lost a battle against the Incas. Explore with your Local Expert to learn about the varying architecture and purposes of the site. Before you board the train, visit a typical house located in this town, known as the “last living Inca village of Peru”. Continue onward as you board the train to the town of Aguas Calientes. Hotel: Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Mysterious Machu Picchu. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Machu Picchu, where you’ll arrive before the crowds. Meet your Local Expert for a guided exploration of its construction and the tales that it tells. Travel through the Sacred Valley by train en-route to Cusco. Tonight, enjoy our delicious celebration dinner at Chicha by Gaston Acurio, who introduced Peruvian cuisine to the rest of the world after training a Cordon Bleu chef. Hotel: Palacio del Inka, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Cusco. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Colonial Cusco. Join your Local Expert at the “Plaza de Armas” and visit the impressive renaissance-style Cathedral. Make your way through small alleys edged with Incan walls until you reach Qoricancha, the temple dedicated to the sun, “Inti”. Believed to be the most important temple for the Incas, it was destroyed by the Spanish conquerors in the 16th century. Its foundations were used to build the Catholic Church Santo Domingo, marking an evident clash of cultures. End your tour at the typical San Pedro market, and take in the lively bustle of the workers and their colorful stands filled with fruits, vegetables, spices and other local products. Later you'll be whisked away to the Rooftop kitchen for a one-of-a-kind culinary experience. Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
Transfer to the Cusco Airport for your onward flight home.
- Lima: Visit the UNESCO declared historical centre of the city and admire the colourful colonial architecture. Peru’s capital was founded by Francisco Pizarro and given the name City of the Kings. Witness the Plaza San Martín, one of the most beautiful squares in Lima, Plaza de Armas, Lima’s first public square and the San Francisco Monastery, known for its network of catacombs which lie below the foundation.
- Cusco: Visit the TreadRight Foundation supported Centre for Traditional Textiles of Cusco (CTTC) and meet Nilda Callanaupa, a local weaver. This organization is dedicated to preserving the art of weaving beautiful Peruvian textiles.
- Machu Picchu: Spend the morning exploring the ancient Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. A Local Expert helps you understand the enigmatic fortress abandoned by the Incas in the 16th century.
- Lima: Share in Lima's storied past at the Country Club Lima Hotel, one of the country's first luxury, boutique properties.
- Sacred Valley: Inkaterra Hacienda Urubamba is in the heart of Urubamba Valley, set among flowers, mountains and trees. The hotel has a design inspired by the colonial architecture of the Cusco region, with an interior design enhanced with local materials.
- Machu Picchu: This enchanting Andean village hotel is located within 12.3 acres of pristine cloud forest. The spectacular grounds are laced with paths that wind past waterfalls and trails, and organic gardens that wander through the misty forest. A place to relax, while exploring nature and encountering the wonders of the Incan civilization, experiencing authentic travel.
- Cusco: Dating back nearly five centuries, the storied mansion of the Palacio del Inka stands in the historic center of Cusco. Directly across from the Qoricancha (Temple of the Sun), it is a five-minute walk from the main square and less than a mile from an array of museums, markets and restaurants. Uniting the past and present, Andes Spirit Spa presents indigenous treatments and an indoor therapy pool. Meanwhile, Inti Raymi Restaurant offers authentic Peruvian dishes.INCLUSIVE LUXURY GOLD SERVICES
- You will be escorted by one of our fine Travelling Concierges, handpicked to serve as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Luxury Gold's air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard restroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- At every hotel, you'll be treated to seamless baggage handling, with prompt delivery inside your room.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency.
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels. Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Concierge will enchant you with a Luxury Gold Flourish, which is a local speciality representing the destination.
- Complimentary, private airport transfers are included on start and end dates and when additional accommodation has been booked through Luxury Gold.