Splendours of Egypt
Vacation type: Regional Journey
Egypt’s vast wealth of antiquities take centre stage here. Marvel at Karnak, the Pyramids and Sphinx, Tutankhamun’s treasure, and the ubiquitous hieroglyphics.
DAY 1ARRIVE IN CAIRO.Welcome to the timeless land of the Pharaohs. On arrival at Cairo International Airport, you will be met and transferred to your hotel.Hotel:Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino.
DAY 2CAIRO SIGHTSEEING.Meet your Tour Director at 08:00 for a detailed briefing. Then ascend to the Citadel, for breathtaking views over the city and a visit to the Alabaster Mosque. Continue to Tahrir Square, the focal point of the 2011 Egyptian Revolution, and the Egyptian Museum. Among the many exhibits are the fabulous artefacts recovered from the tomb of King Tutankhamun. In the evening, get to know your Travel Director, a professionally trained Egyptologist, and fellow guests over a Welcome Drink at the hotel. Later, drive to the pyramids to witness the magical Sound & Light Show - an unforgettable introduction to the world of Ancient Egypt.Hotel:Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. Meals:Breakfast
DAY 3FLY TO LUXOR, CRUISE THE NILE.Fly to Luxor and visit the huge temple complex of Karnak. Walk through the avenue of ram-headed sphinxes to stand among the columns of the Hypostyle Hall before transferring to your cruise ship. After lunch on-board, visit Luxor museum to see many Ancient artefacts from Luxor Temple and 2 Royal mummies.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 4EXPLORING DENDERA AND EDFU.Visit the Temple of Hathor in Dendera, one of the best preserved temples in Egypt. It contains a rare depiction of Cleopatra and her son Caesarian, whose father was Julius Caesar. After, Visit Luxor Temple. Return to your cruise boat and sail via the Esna Lock to Edfu.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 5EDFU TO ASWANStart your day with early morning sailing to Kom Ombo and continuing to Aswan. In the evening, don your galabeyas (traditional Egyptian attire), for a fun-filled Egyptian dinner and galabeya party.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 6 - RELAXED STARTASWAN’S HIGH DAM & TEMPLE OF ISIS.Sightseeing includes a visit to Aswan's High Dam and Granite Quarries to see the enormous Unfinished Obelisk. Travel by motorboat to the Temple of Isis, rising from the waters of the Nile on the Island of Philae. The rest of the day is free to relax and enjoy the facilities on your cruise boat.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 7 - RELAXED STARTFELUCCAS AND HIGH TEA.On a traditional Nile Felucca, meet a sailor and learn the art of sailing this ancient craft. As the sun starts to fade, enjoy Colonial-style high tea at the historic Old Cataract Hotel, just like Winston Churchill and Agatha Christie once did before you.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Afternoon Tea, Dinner
DAY 8 - RELAXED STARTFREE TIME AND ON TO KOM OMBO.With the morning free, perhaps join the optional experience of travelling to the temples of Abu Simbel, by air? Later, sail to Kom Ombo to visit the only double temple of Egypt, dedicated to the two gods the crocodile-headed Sobek and falcon-headed Horus the Elder.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 9 - RELAXED STARTCRUISING THE NILE TO LUXOR.Your cruise continues along the life-giving waters of the Nile. In the evening, arrive back in Luxor where there is time for shopping and sightseeing.Hotel:MS Medea (or similar). Meals:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 10EXPLORE LUXOR AND FLY TO CAIRO.Disembark from your cruise and travel by air-conditioned coach to the west bank of the Nile. See the Colossi of Memnon and visit both the Temple of Hatshepsut and the Valley of the Kings, where many pharaohs were buried. Visit a family home and witness the making of authentic Egyptian sun bread. Later, transfer to the airport for your return flight to Cairo.Hotel:Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. Meals:Breakfast
DAY 11CAIRO AND THE PYRAMIDS OF GIZA.After breakfast, drive to Memphis, the famous capital of the ancient world. See the colossal statue of Ramses II and the Great Alabaster Sphinx. Continue to Sakkara, to see the Step Pyramid of King Zoser, the oldest pyramid in the world, dating back to 2,700 BC. In the afternoon, it's on to Giza with your Egyptologist to explore the magnificent pyramids and come face-to-face with the enigmatic Sphinx. During your visit, venture inside one of these ancient wonders to see the chambers where the pharaohs were sent to meet their Gods in the afterlife.Hotel:Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. Meals:Breakfast
DAY 12 - RELAXED STARTDEPART CAIRO.Your wonderful journey ends with transfers to Cairo International airport.Meals:Breakfast
- Cairo: With your Egyptologist, gaze upon Tutankhamun's treasures at the Egyptian Musuem, gaze upon the most recognisable symbols of ancient Egypt: the full-faced funeral mask, gold coffin, gilded throne and precious jewellery – all treasures of Tutankhamun.
- TOP RATED HIGHLIGHTS
- Cairo: Enjoy sightseeing including sweeping views over the city from the Citadel and a visit to the Great Alabaster Mosque.
- Giza: Be mesmerised by the Sound & Light Show at the Great Pyramids.
- Cairo: Take a short scenic flight to Luxor where you will begin your Nile Cruise.
- Karnak: Stand amid a vast forest of columns in the largest temple complex known to man, as your Egyptologist explains the significance behind it. Walk the avenue of ram-headed sphinxes, see the of Rameses II and the Hypostyle Hall.
- Luxor: Visit Luxor Temple.
- Dendera: At the Temple of Hathor, see a rare depiction of Cleopatra and Caesarian.
- Aswan: See Aswan's High Dam and ponder why the Unfinished Obelisk has been left in mid-creation for thousands of years.
- Philae Island: As you journey by motorboat to Philae Island, witness the majestic Temple of Isis rising from the waters.
- Aswan: On-board a traditional Nile felucca, meet a sailor and learn the art of sailing this ancient Nile craft.
- Kom Ombo: Visit the unique temple as it is the only double temple in Egypt.
- West Bank: See the massive stone statues of the Colossi of Memnon.
- West Bank: Embark on an experience with an Egyptologist to visit the mortuary Temple Hatshepsut.
- West Bank: Explore with an Egyptologist the Valley of the Kings which is home to the magnificent tombs of Egypt's Pharaohs.
- Luxor: Enjoy your short flight returning to Cairo.
- Memphis: Visit this famous capital of the ancient world to see the statue of Ramses II and the Great Alabaster Sphinx.
- Sakkara: See the oldest pyramid in the world, the Step Pyramid of King Zoser.
- Giza: With your Egyptologist, meet the enigmatic Sphinx and venture deep inside one of the pyramids, to the chambers where the Pharaohs went to meet their Gods in the afterlife.
- Cruising: Join the fun at an Egyptian dinner and galabeya party, dressed in traditional Egyptian attire.
- Aswan: Follow the footsteps of Winston Churchill and Agatha Christie as you enjoy high tea in true colonial English-style at Aswan's famous Old Cataract Hotel, as the sun begins to set.
- Luxor: Enjoy listening to stories of village life from it's local residents when you visit a family home for a tasting of authentic Egyptian sun bread.
- Dining Summary: 11 Breakfasts (BB), 7 Lunches (L), 1 Afternoon Tea (AT) and 7 Dinners (D), all with bottled water plus tea or coffee.
STAY IN STYLE
- Cruising: Cruise the Nile in style, on-board your traditional Nile cruiser with its spacious cabins, bars, shops, lounge, restaurant and swimming pool.
- Cairo: The luxurious Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar El Khayyam Casino is conveniently located on Gezira Island in downtown Cairo. The central section was once the Gezirah Palace, built for the Khedive Isma'il Pasha in 1869.
INCLUDED INSIGHT SERVICES
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director and certified Egyptologist will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned coach with onboard washroom. Alternate vehicles without onboard washroom may be used on occasion.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- 7 night Nile cruise aboard your mid-size cruise ship featuring air-conditioned cabins with private facilities, on either MS Medea, MS Miriam, MS Giselle, MS La Boheme or similar. Please note that gratuities are not included for the Travel Director, Nile Cruise staff, Drivers and Airport Escorts.
- Included economy class flights between Cairo/Luxor and Luxor/Cairo with transfers between airports and hotels.
- Complimentary transfers from/to Cairo Airport are available on arrival and departure days, or with additional accommodation booked through Insight Vacations.