SilverSea - Lisbon to Amsterdam
An epicurean voyage for gastronomes and oenologists alike! Savour the flavours of Portugal, Spain, France and Holland as you travel up the Atlantic coast. Taste tapas in Bilbao, shuck oysters in Normandy, indulge in the glorious wines of the Bordeaux region during an overnight stay. And what to do when you arrive in Amsterdam? Head for the nearest canal and relax as you glide effortlessly past the stunning architecture.
Join us to experience Europe like you never have before, sailing port by port from Lisbon to Amsterdam via Spain and France. Take in sweeping natural vistas amidst old world European history and charm. We will visit more than half a dozen UNESCO World and Cultural Heritage sites, including the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain and the legendary Le Havre in Normandy, France. This voyage is a food-lover’s dream. Sample port wine in Oporto’s historic center and taste Norman cheese and Calvados (pear brandy) at Le Havre, not to mention the unforgettable meal we have planned in Bordeaux! We will travel along the northern coasts of Portugal and Spain and cross the Bay of Biscay to spend two days in Bordeaux, France followed by four additional stops to take in French cuisine, history and the stunning, rocky coasts of Brittany. Be sure to sample exceptional national delicacies and fine wine and brandy at every stop while taking in the history that shaped each nation. Throughout the voyage, learn about the history, geology, wildlife and botany of these naturally beautiful locations from lecture presentations offered by your knowledgeable onboard Expedition Team.
Bilbao, Spain –You will see contemporary and modern works by Spanish and international artists at the Guggenheim Museum. The presence of this architectural gem has profoundly changed the trajectory of Bilbao and contributed to a cultural and economic revolution, stimulating key infrastructure instalments including the rapid transit system and airport.
Bordeaux, France – Experience first-hand why the Gastronomic Meal of the French is considered a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. We will spend two days in this region that is rich in fine wines and incredible cuisine. This stunning region is waking up from its Sleeping Beauty status and becoming a hub for artists and foodies alike.
Saint Malo and Mont St-Michel, France – Explore Saint Malo’s old town (intra muros), a historic walled port city with cobbled streets and an abundance of exquisite old-world stone architecture dating back to the 14th century. Head out to Mont St-Michel (UNESCO World Heritage site), an island that has held strategic fortifications as early as 8th century AD.
Le Havre, France – Visit a UNESCO World Heritage site renowned for its restoration and planning. Located along the English Channel in Normandy, much of Le Havre was destroyed in World War II but was restored in the 20thcentury. Le Havre is a mix of modern and historic elements and serves as the gateway to medieval and World War II sites. The Norman cheese and Calvados (pear brandy) are also not to be missed!
- See the different medieval sites in Portugal, Spain and France that shaped the respective countries.
- Sample exceptional national delicacies in each country.
- Explore the natural beauty and fortifications found in Mont St-Michel with its sweeping views and narrow cobble streets.
Wildlife Watch List:
Birds of note: Swifts, Yellow-legged and Herring Gulls, Black Kites, Northern Gannets, Rock Doves, Little Egrets, Eurasian Oystercatcher
INCLUDED IN THE CRUISE FARE
- Economy Class Air Roundtrip
- Transfers (between airport, hotel and ship)
- 1 night hotel
- Personalised service – the best crew-to-guest ratio in expedition cruising
- Butler service in every suite and stateroom – all guests are pampered equally
- Open-seating dining options – dine when and with whomever you please
- Beverages in-suite and throughout the ship – select wines, premium spirits, specialty coffees and soft drinks, plus your own tailored mini-bar
- In-suite dining and room service – available 24 hours aboard Silver Explorer, and from 06:00 to 23:00 aboard Silver Galapagos and Silver Discoverer
- Enrichment lectures by a highly qualified Expeditions Team
- Guided Zodiac, land and sea tours, and shoreside activities led by the Expeditions Team
- Gratuities always included in your fare
- Unlimited Free Wifi
Ship - Silver Cloud
Silver Cloud is the most spacious and comfortable ice class vessel in expedition cruising. Her large suites, her destination itineraries and her unparalleled service make her truly special. With 18-brand new Zodiacs and a pole to pole expedition itinerary, Silver Cloud really does break the ice between expedition and luxury.
Photo credit: Fotografik33" class="redactor-linkify-object">https://www.flickr.com/photos/adriensifre/10042862... - www.fotografik33.com on Visual" class="redactor-linkify-object">https://visualhunt.com/photos/nature/">Visual Hunt / CC BY-NC-ND